Welsh Mormon History Logo





1850, Oct 20 - East Glamorganshire Conference Minutes

MINUTES OF THE EAST GLAMORGANSHIRE CONFERENCE

The quarterly meeting of this conference was held in the White Lion Inn, Merthyr, on the 20th of October when 24 branches were represented, containing 2 high priests, 148 elders, 86 priests, 200 teachers and 58 deacons; baptized 148, cut off 64; emigrated 47; died 5; total 2223. The Saints were exhorted in an effective way by Pres. Phillips about the great benefit which has resulted from spreading books throughout the world. He was followed by Bro. Howells, in English, on the same topic and also by Bro. Pugh. After that many things were decided, among which was that Bro. Henry Evans was to be the first counselor of the conference in place of David John, and that the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants were to be translated into Welsh in the name of President Brigham Young or F. D. Richards. At six, there was a separation, with the English going to the hall of the Greyhound Inn where Brothers P. Seix, J. Davis and W. Howells instructed the brethren about their power to do good. Meanwhile Brothers Phillips, Pugh, Giles and E. Williams edified the Welsh where everything was enjoyed pleasantly except for the collapse of the platform of the singers, which caused more fright than damage. It was moved to sustain the authorities of the Church as usual and all the Saints seemed eager to do the will of God.

W. PHILLIPS, President
H. EVANS, Secretary

[Translated from the Welsh original in Udgorn Seion, 1850, p. 292-3 by Ronald D. Dennis, 1529 W. 1170 North, Provo, Utah]

Immigrants:

Phillips, William Samuel

Comments:

No comments.