Welsh Mormon History Logo

Bailey, Hannah (Jones) - Biography

Hannah Jones Bailey & Her Family


Life History

Written by Hannah's daughter Elizabeth Yeates


Hannah Jones Bailey, daughter of Joseph Jones and Jane Parry, was born April 9, 1853 at Tuney Grew, North Wales. When she was very young, the Mormon elders laboring in their native land visited her home. After a time her parents were converted to the gospel. Her parents had a strong desire to come to Zion. Mother said a tin box was tacked on their wall, and every penny that could be spared was placed in this box. After long sacrifice and waiting, the day arrived for them to bid farewell to the land of their birth. They set sail on the Signe of Shore. After eight weeks, they landed in New York Harbor.


They settled in Thomas, a small town in Pennsylvania. Her father secured work at his old trade, mining. They saved their intended journey to the valleys of the mountains in Utah. Then the Civil War began, and mother remembered how she and her brothers and older sister would keep watch while their father slept; they were afraid the officers would take her father off to war. Their home was always open to the elders, as it was in the old country. George Q. Cannon and Levi Garrett visited with them a great deal. The family remained there for six years.


They had many hardships. Two of their babies were buried there. On April 1, 1856, her father was badly injured in the mine when a large rock fell on his back. He was completely buried, and it was a long time before the miners were able to release him. His back was broken and one arm almost severed. The doctor said that he would surely die. Mother sent for the elders, and they administered to him and promised him he would live to reach the Promised Land. He was almost instantly healed.


In July 1861, they began their long journey across the plains in Captain Horn’s company. On October 1, 1861, they arrived in Salt Lake City. Mother had walked almost the entire distance-she was eight years of age.


After staying in Salt Lake City for three weeks, her father secured work on a ranch at Mountain Dell. He worked for Ephraim Hins and stayed there one year.


In 1862 they moved to Wellsville, where mother grew to young womanhood. She told of going out into the wheat fields, gleaning wheat. She beat the wheat out of the stalks, cleaned it, and sold it for calico to make a dress. She helped make hats out of the straws and skinned and spun yard to help clothe here younger brothers and sisters. She told of how she spun on shares all one winter and spring to get enough linsey to make herself a dress. She was a Sunday School teacher and member of the choir in the early sixties.


On April 4, 1870, she was married to Charles R. Bailey in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City. She was his third wife, and she bore six sons and three daughters. Her oldest son died before he was four years of age.


Mother was an excellent homemaker, a very good cook, and one who knew how to make the most of what she had to do with. She was very religious. In 1882 a great tragedy came into her life when the Edmunds Act was passed, and it became unlawful for her husband to live with her. Those who remember that terrible time know what the brothers and sisters who had embraced the principle of plural marriage had to endure. At one time, mother left her home for almost a year, and my brother. Luther, was just 11 days old. Mother had moved three times during those 11 days. It was only through the mercy of our Father in Heaven that her life was spared.


Luther was hidden until he was three years of age. Mother, like the majority of the faithful women of the church, kept faith in the work of the Lord. She was a Relief Society teacher for many years in the Wellsville Ward and spent much of her time with the sick.


In 1900 she moved to Logan where she might have her son, Lawrence, under the care of good doctors and give him a chance to attend college. He had a long sickness and underwent three operations and had to have a bone removed from his leg. Doctors were at a loss to know how to care for the victims of that dread disease (rheumatism). She was the chaplain of the Joseph Smith Camp of The Daughters of Utah Pioneers for four years. She was called and set apart by the stake president to go out among the sick and minister to them. The night was never too cold or stormy for her to help anyone. She was continually giving to those in need. She passed it through the back door so that no one would know but herself. She was the matron for the Cache Valley Hospital for several years. She had the gift and power of giving relief by rubbing when people were in great distress and pain. She did a great deal of temple work. Through much perseverance, on her part, a great number of her dead have had their work done.


On August 10, 1923, while on a visit to Salt Lake City, she was taken suddenly ill. She returned home and went to my sister Ella’s home. All that could be done to relieve her suffering was done. She passed away September 18, 1923, at the age of 70 years, 5 months, and 18 days.


Before losing consciousness, she asked for all her children to come into her room. She gave us her last blessing and bore a testimony to the truthfulness of the gospel. She was survived by eight children, 43 grandchildren, five great-grandchildren, three brothers, and three sisters.


Funeral services were held in the Sixth Ward, at Logan, Utah. A large congregation of relatives and friends attended. She was buried in theWellsville Cemetery, near her husband and son.


My Tribute To My Mother


“I fell I had a most wonderful mother. One that was tried, tested and a proven daughter of our Father in Heaven, who approved of her life and was well pleased with her works of life.”


Elizabeth B. Yeates


A Granddaughter’s Recollections

Written by Hannah’s granddaughter Dorothy Smith Evans


I remember the pretty dress she wore with the “dickey” in front, high up under her chin, with lace on it. She always wore a gold chain with a gold watch given to her on her 50th birthday by her family.


Grandmother was an excellent cook. I remember her patty shells filled with creamed chicken; they would melt in your mouth. No one ever visited her and came away without a bite to eat.


I remember her feather bed, puffed up high, and what fun it was to spend a night with her and sleep on that soft, fluffy bed and sink down in the feathers.


I also remember being told of the sleepless nights she spent trying to comfort Lawrence when he suffered with his leg. When she would get him to sleep she didn’t move for fear she would wake him, and with his leg so near hers, she didn’t move when he was at ease. Sometimes in the morning she could hardly move from the cramped position she had held for so long.


I remember the wonderful family dinners held at her home, the grown-ups eating first and the children thinking they would never get through. I remember thinking we would starve before it was our turn.


I also remember my mother telling that after grandfather and grandmother were married in Salt Lake City, they went to ZCMI to get her some new shoes, and the clerk told grandmother to ask her “father how he liked the shoes.




Hannah gave birth to nine children, six boys and three girls. The first child, Edward, lived only four years. All of the others lived to maturity and married.



Jones, Hannah


No comments.