Welsh Mormon History Logo

Camp, Ann (Morse) - Biography


Ann Morse Camp was born August 9, 1862 in Mountain Ash, Glamorganshire, Wales to Margaret Evans and William Morse. Her father worked in the coal mines and it was while still in his teens, that he first heard and received the Gospel. Because of his conversion he was hissed at and scorned by his companions, but he didn't falter in his belief. Both of her parents were natives of Carmarthenshire but William had gone to Merthyr Tydfil to work. Before Ann's birth they moved to Mountain Ash where he continued to work in the mines.

The spirit of gathering to Zion had come to her parents and although her mother's folks had disowned her because she had married a Mormon she was willing to set out with her husband for America. They left Wales by train for London from which place they sailed 4 June 1863 on the ship Amazon, bound for New York.

My mother was not yet one year old when this long journey was undertaken so you can understand the strain on her dear mother. Her little sister Mary Jane was a child of three but nothing daunted the converts who gave up home, friends and loved ones to face an uncertain future in a strange, new country.

Ann's family crossed the plains with the Thomas E. Ricks company leaving Florence, Nebraska by ox team and reaching Salt Lake City October 4, 1863. They spent the first winter with a relative, William Davis, in Logan but in the spring William Morse was busy with plans to build a home of his own. During the winter he worked wherever he could find a job and stood guard with a gun against the Indians who were very hostile in Cache Valley. The details of their life in Logan and the move to Samaria, Idaho are told in the story of Ann's parents.

When in her teens, she worked for different friends to help out with the family income. South of Samaria she worked for the Joseph Hawkins' family with the housework also helping to milk cows. Every day she helped skim the milk and as there were no separators nor creameries, they had to churn the cream and make butter and cheese. She worked for seventy-five cents a week with long hours and hard work.

While living in Samaria she met and married Williams P. Camp, Sr. at the age of sixteen on March 6, 1879 at the Salt Lake City Endowment House as the Temple was not yet completed. The trip to Salt Lake City was made in a wagon and they were accompanied by his mother, Amelia Evans Davis.

They returned to Samaria where her husband had a new log house that he had built himself. He also built the furniture. They lived here for several years where three of their children were born: William Peter, Jr., Ann Morse, and Albert Morse. Ann died the same day she was born.

While living in Samaria her husband was called on a mission to the Southern States and left October 28, 1884. As their means were limited and with herself and two children to support, she took in washing, ironing, and sewing. She

sewed for others, too. With the help of the Samaria Ward he served a two-year mission, getting his release March 7, 1887 and returning home March 13, 1887.

After his return they homesteaded a dry farm at Pleasant View. There they had many hardships and long hours of hard work for the sagebrush was so tall they couldn't see over it. They lived in a log house they had built. Lacking modern machinery, it took long hours of hard work and patience to clear the sage and plant a crop. They lived in a log house until 1890 when they built a frame house which still stands. There the rest of their family were born: Alvin M., Margaret, Amelia, Deseret, Richard, Emma, Joseph, Olive. Two died without names and one stillborn, making 14 in all.

They went through many hardships here and were frightened many times by the Indians. When they came to the Warm Springs to camp, the deer came to the Big Ditch to drink and were used for food as they were plentiful. Mushrooms and watercress were also plentiful and useful for food.

After moving from Samaria to Pleasant View, she continued as president of the Primary at Samaria because Pleasant View was not a Ward at that time. The only way of transportation was in a wagon or by walking. When the horses were in use on the farm, she walked all the way and took her small sons, carrying one part of the way. Albert had died of typhoid-pneumonia in 1898.

They had the post office in their home for several years and she took care of the Pleasant View mail. During her married life, her husband held many responsible positions: secretary of the MIA at Samaria and in Pleasant View. He was a bishop's counselor, stake missionary, home missionary, on the Sunday School Stake Board, and secretary of the Stake MIA, a ward teacher and religion class leader. She and her husband were called as missionaries to the Logan Temple, and she held this position until the time of her death.

They lived in Logan for a few years where they moved to educate their family. They also lived in Holbrook during the summers for a few years as they owned and operated a dry farm there.    They spent three winters at Malad City living in part of the home of their son-in-law and daughter, William E. and Deseret Moon. They sold their home and farm in Holbrook and took back their home in Pleasant View which had previously been sold. There she lived the rest

of her life. She died June 14, 1942 of heart trouble and hardening of the arteries. She is buried at the Pleasant View Cemetery. She would have been 80 years old in August of that year.

Deseret C. Moon, Daughter



Morse, Ann


No comments.